Friday, April 5, 2013

You Don't Need a Window to Hang a Curtain

My bedroom has not had an ounce of love given it... let's be clear, I am speaking of the actual bedroom itself (I do have 4 kids in 5 years.. ;)  We have lived in this house for 3 years and 2 of them have been spent remodeling and water proofing our basement (or the "stupid basement" as I have come to call it)  What a nightmare - but more on that in a later post!  Everything else in the house (as far as decorating goes) has been put on hold. Picture frames that were hung in our previous home were hung on existing nails in this home--super lame.  But finally- I have started to show some love to the upstairs and what a difference!  So back to the bedroom.  I made a simple change.  Here is what I started with.
Super bare and not balanced. 

Part of my trouble in this tiny bedroom is the windows are in awkward spots.  My other trouble-it is tiny.  I can't put my bed anywhere that looks good with the two windows and allows space to move around.  

So I sat in my room with my sketch pad for a while trying to think of what I could do to make this look more balanced.  

I came up with:
  • taking down curtain and moving it behind my bed adjacent to existing curtain
  • hanging the curtains high
  • adding some sort of artwork
  • adding a paper shade to the to-be-bear window.
I talked my Hubby into taking a break from the basement and helping me hang both the curtains high and on the same wall.  He was skeptical-- thinking it would look dumb to have a curtain over just a wall.  But I assured him I was on to something great.  :)

So here it is finished!
Higher curtains, nice and balanced
 (pay no attention to the painting on the left side- I don't want to take it down until it has a safe place to go!)

You'll notice I have two pieces of fantastic artwork right down the middle.  I was originally going to hang a mirror...then thought it was just too heavy for the space.  Then I was trying to figure what I could make to fill the space.  But on a shopping trip to Younkers during their Goodwill Sale- I happened upon these two lovelies you see!  They were 50% off and the I got an extra 25% off with my coupon and signed up for a credit card (which I will promptly cancel...)  for an extra 20%!  That made these about two pictures $40- not too shabby.  I don't think I could have made that for cheaper.  

On the other window I decided to put a "temporary" shade.  Cost me all of $5 and- let's be honest- it isn't so temporary.  I will keep thinking of what can replace it- but it is low on the list of to-dos! Unless I find an amazing deal on a shade..I am quite happy with the paper.



I love, love, love the end result.  My room feels bigger and more grand! When I go in my room I feel a little more relaxed and want to be in there. I enjoy the space and like to be in it.  And that, folks, is important!  A happy and rested mommy is key to organizing crazy!  And this start on my bedroom only cost me $45!

I have lots more to do in this space- finding bedside tables, refinishing our dressers, making a mirror, hanging my jewelry... and on the list goes.  But this is a pretty great start!

What kind of spaces do you have that just stress you out to be in?  Is it possible to rearrange something to give it a bigger feel? Let me hear your ideas! I have other rooms that need some inspiration! 

A little less crazy,
Beth


No comments:

Post a Comment